Sunday, May 5, 2013

Kelsey Anderson Blog #5, 1071

For the Research Paper, I chose to use Fahrenheit 451 as my text. Written by Ray Bradbury, Fahrenheit 451 is a dystopian story set in the future where firemen are required to burn books, which have become illegal. The main character, Guy Montag, is a fireman who eventually grows curious as to why books have become illegal, which leads to rebellion as a member of the proletariat  becoming wanted by the bourgeoisie government. This is a dystopia because it is set in the future where life may seem perfect with a variety of useful and entertaining futuristic technology, but its tragic flaw is illegalized books & book burning, which leads to uprising and rebellion. Because of the clear relationship between the bourgeoisie government/firemen and proletariot scholars/rebels, as well as the event of uprising and rebellion, Fahrenheit 451 is a perfect candidate for Marxist analysis.

As for research, I am still reading the book, but I have gotten two anthologies of scholarly articles on Fahrenheit 451: Readings on Fahrenheit 451 and Harold Bloom's Modern Critical Interpretations. There are at least 20 different literary essays in these books that I can choose from for my essay, so I am set!

Kelsey Anderson

No comments:

Post a Comment