Thursday, May 2, 2013

Blog 5 Victor Bustos

For the final research paper I'm writing about the movie V for Vendetta. The movie is a dystopia because its set in a futuristic totalitarian England. We don't exactly know what lead to the totalitarian state but there are a couple of clues given through the movie.The government in this society controls everything, people live in fear and are oppressed. I was thinking about using a Marxists lens because of the control the government has on society and how V's actions lead to a revolution by the lower class. The movie is full of symbolism, V wears a mask and we never see his face. He dies as a martyr and his mask becomes a symbol. The terrorists acts that he commits are also used by him as a symbol of hope to the people. Another reason I'm using a Marxist lens is because there are various ways the government controls the people. They control the media, silence their critics, and they also use force.From V's terrorist acts to the government responses a revolution is born, that is one of the Marxists views. I have not done research about the movie yet. I have seen it a couple of times and when we talked about Marxism and an dystopian fiction it has reminded me of this movie.   

1 comment:

  1. V for Vendetta was good. I would have chosen that if I weren't already doing mine on Battle Royale. And then would have changed my mind again when I saw that you were doing it. I'm sure you will, but you should address how V's actions were labeled as terrorist acts, despite their actual effects and his actual intentions.

    ReplyDelete