Saturday, May 4, 2013

BLOG #5 brittni Ladderbush
I chose to do my dystopia research paper on the second installment of Suzanne Collins The Hunger Games, catching Fire. This novel is heavily categorized in dystopia fiction. The setting of this novel is in a future society where a 'big brother' type government that controls the twelve districts beneath their capitol. In the sequal to the original book the protagonist, Katniss Everdeen, has just won the hunger games which is a twisted sacrifice of sorts where every family must enter their child into a tournament played to the death. One boy and one girl are chosen from each district with a total of 24 tributes for the hunger games.In catching fire Peeta and Katniss must enter the Hunger Games once again, making them relive their worst nightmares all over again.  The second book was my choice out of the three novels because it has so many different themes that I could construct a paper with and feel I could use both Marxism or psychoanalytical theory with this paper. I feel I will most likely lean towards psycho analytical because the constant struggle and emotional breakdown that each character struggles with in this story will apply better.

1 comment:

  1. I Like the idea that you are going to use the Psycho Analytic approach. I'm doing the first installment of The Hunger Games and was stuck on whether or not to do that approach or Marxism. I ultimately chose Marxism. I think Mockingjay may work better with the Psycho Analytic approach because they characters are introduced more and we see more of an emotional breakdown in the third book. But I do think this approach will work well with Catching Fire.

    ReplyDelete