Thursday, May 2, 2013

Breecia Gray Blog #5 The Giver

I have chosen The Giver by Lois Lowry for my research paper. It is about a seemingly Utopian society where there is no fear, hunger or pain. It is also a place with no love, joy or color. Only one person in the society can truly understand deep emotions, The Receiver. Everyone in the community has a job. The Receivers job is to hold the memories of the past. It is told from the point of view of Jonas who is chosen to be the next Receiver and is given the memories. This story is a dystopia because the 'government' controls everything. They chose what your job is, who your family will be. They control the population, only allowing 2 children per family. All citizens are expected to abide all rules without question. Anyone who does not follow the rules. is 'released'.

I think both psychoanalytical or marxist will work with this story. I think I will use psychoanalytical. I have done some research and have found a lot of info on the themes of the story and some symbolism and character analysis. Spark Notes has been very useful!

No comments:

Post a Comment