Friday, February 15, 2013

reader response For Desire By: Christian Fry

When analyzing Kim Addonizio’s poem “For Desire” with a reader response approach a few things come to my mind. First being an overwhelming sense of desire. The title of the poem definitely sets the reader up to see this theme, but I feel the way the author uses symbols such as those of fancy things that are commonly to be desired is excellent and goes far beyond the title. I get a sense of the desire for decadence in the symbols Addonizio uses such as the wine, but a sense of desire for freedom in the symbols such as the dog park and the ocean. The symbols and codes that Addonizio uses, plays with the reader’s emotions and strikes up desire in the reader. A passage that stood out to me as one that explains very well the poem’s intended effect can be found about mid way through the poem. The speaker here is explaining their disgust for the “old way of doing things.” The speaker talks about all the religious teachings they were taught as a young child and states that they wish to live in the world of today where those concerns are old news. This desire to leave the old way of thought behind for a new free way of thinking and being is what I really think the poem was intended to be about. Other symbols like the dog park set up a sense of freedom from those oppressive, controlling thoughts. I think I recognize with this passage a lot because I went through a very similar experience and have thusly brought that experience with me when reading this poem. I was raised a strict Mormon by my parents. I was taught in a similar fashion as the one mentioned in the poem. When I was a young teenager I stepped away from that religious way of life and began to have a desire for similar things and concepts discussed in the poem. I too have felt the desire to step away from those old time morals and relish the desires of here and now.  

4 comments:

  1. Hi Christian, I enjoyed reading your reader response to the poem For Desire. Like you I too was raised in a very religious household and have bucked "tradition", in a sense. So I can relate to that part of the poem as well, but when I read it I took the progression differently then you. When I read it I thought of how desire isn't just one aspect of life. How it's universal to all humans, and we have desires in so many levels and forms. Addonzio starts out with food, which is a more innocent form of indulgence, and moves progressively more controversial. It made me think she was implying it's never enough, not until it reaches extremes, nearly kills you and your lover begs for you. One of my favorite songs is Love Interruption by Jack White and this poem made me think of that song (I want love to grab my fingers gently, slam them in a doorway, put my face into the ground). They both talk about the paradox of love/desire, how it hurts us and yet we still want it. I admire artists that can express this idea so beautifully!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with the both of you. This poem was amazing and terrifying at the same time. For desire made me think of the saying, "we want what we can't have," and it's true. We all want or desire to have something or several things that we don't have, and some of us are willing to go to great lengths to get that which we do not have. I do believe also that it is in human nature to want for things that we need as well, but it is in the "want" where the black and white of things can blend to grey, and we simply need to have what we want, otherwise we would clearly cease to be. Truly fascinating poem. :-)

    ReplyDelete

  3. Christian,

    Christian, you write, “When analyzing Kim Addonizio’s poem “For Desire” with a reader response approach a few things come to my mind. First being an overwhelming sense of desire.” Desire on who’s part? Try to clarify the relationship between author, speaker and/or character in the poem. Doing so early on will answer a lot of questions that will come up throughout your analysis if this relationship isn’t explained.

    “The title of the poem definitely sets the reader up to see this theme . . .” Which theme? You haven’t yet named one. ( If you do want to discuss theme, you will want to take a look at the lecture on theme in BB.)

    “The title of the poem definitely sets the reader up to see this theme, but I feel the way the author uses symbols such as those of fancy things that are commonly to be desired is excellent and goes far beyond the title.” This comes across awkwardly – how you describe it below is much more succinct and sophisticated (“decadent symbols”, etc.)

    Well put here: “I get a sense of the desire for decadence in the symbols Addonizio uses such as the wine, but a sense of desire for freedom in the symbols such as the dog park and the ocean.” Thus far, given the use of “I”, I know you’re doing Reader Response criticism because you say so, but you haven’t yet suggested anything in distinctly New Critical or Reader Response terms.

    This is clearer in terms of direction you’re headed/theoretical choice: “The symbols and codes that Addonizio uses, plays with the reader’s emotions and strikes up desire in the reader.”

    This is a good example of where, in Reader Response criticism, you don’t actually need to be in first person: “ A passage that stood out to me as one that explains very well the poem’s intended effect can be found about mid way through the poem.” You’re analyzing, not talking about personal experience, so keep it in 3rd person: “ A passage in the middle of the poem clearly explains the poem’s intended effect [on the ideal reader].

    The speaker here is explaining their disgust for the “old way of doing things” – Not sure what you mean here, I suppose because I see it more as a personal renouncing of faith (after all, many, many people still live according to principles of faith and particular morals). A bit vague wording-wise anyway, so consider reframing this.

    “This desire to leave the old way of thought behind for a new free way of thinking and being is what I really think the poem was intended to be about.” I think you’re on the right track – this could be turned into a more formalized thesis statement of sorts.

    Good observation: “the Other symbols like the dog park set up a sense of freedom from those oppressive, controlling thoughts.” Any other elements in the poem evince such oppositions or contrasts in freedom versus repression, etc.?

    While I like the comparison to your upbringing, I think bringing in some specific details would add a lot. You write, “I was taught in a similar fashion as the one mentioned in the poem” . . . but the poem doesn’t really say anything concrete about a particular upbringing . . . a few non-specific allusions to faith (probably Catholicism), but again, nothing concrete.

    Looking forward to seeing how you develop this!

    A

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cara,

    Some very good observations here about the progressively provocative imagery. Nicely done.

    ReplyDelete